This fresh salad is a lovely use for beautiful summer greens.
4 cups mixed summer greens, washed and patted dry
½ pound green beans, trimmed
½ pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
4 anchovy fillets, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
Edible flowers, for garnish
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Working in batches, blanch green beans in a pot of generously salted boiling water until bright and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath and let cool; remove. Return water in the pot to a boil, and blanch snow peas, in batches, about 1 minute. Transfer to ice bath until cool; remove peas, and cut in half.
2. Whisk together the anchovies, lemon juice and sour cream in a bowl. Slowly add oil in a steady stream, whisking until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide the lettuce greens, green beans and peas among four plates, and top each with chopped eggs and herbs. Drizzle with dressing, season with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with edible flowers.
These radicchio wedges are wonderful served alongside a grilled entrée.
1-2 heads Luisa radicchio
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Quarter the radicchio heads lengthwise, leaving the cores intact. Brush the cut sides generously with some of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high and oil the grill rack.
3. Place the radicchio, cut sides down, on the grill and cook, turning frequently, until browned and tender when pierced at the core with a knife, 8 to 12 minutes total. (Close the lid if using a gas grill.)
4. Transfer the radicchio to a platter and drizzle each piece with about ½ teaspoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon vinegar. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
This zippy coleslaw is incredibly crisp and fresh, with cabbage, cucumber and scallions.
2 heads mini cabbage, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
1 English cucumber, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2-3 tablespoons high-quality mayonnaise
4-5 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine the sliced cabbage, cucumbers, almonds, sesame seeds, basil, and scallions in a large bowl. Mix together.
2. Whisk together the lemon juice, ginger, and mayonnaise. Season with salt. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until smooth.
3. Pour most, but not all, of the dressing over the cabbage mixture, and toss until lightly coated with the dressing. Taste, and add more dressing or seasoning as desired.
Super simple and healthy, this salad is perfect for casual summer feasting.
1 red onion
¼ cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Peel the cucumbers and then half lengthwise before thinly slicing. Then, peel and thinly slice the red onion and place in a bowl with the cucumber.
2. Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, and oil in a bowl and whisk together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the vinaigrette over the cucumber and onion mixture and toss well to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1-2 hours before serving cold or at room temperature.