Julia Child’s famous vinaigrette, crafted from lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
1 lemon, zested and juiced (at least 2 tablespoons)
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon finely minced shallots
1 cup excellent olive oil
1. Combine lemon zest, juice, mustard and shallots in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking until all ingredients are combined and dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
This delectable compote is delicious spooned over yogurt, ice cream, even waffles or pancakes!
3-4 plums, seeds removed and quartered
3 tablespoons high-quality maple syrup
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cardamom
Pinch kosher salt
1. Squeeze the juice from the orange into a medium skillet, then add the maple syrup, spices and salt. Set heat to medium and gently stir mixture until sugar dissolves. Allow the mixture to gently simmer (adjusting heat as needed) for about 5 minutes, then add quartered plums.
2. Continue to let the mixture simmer for another 5-7 minutes, or until the plums are tender, but still maintain their shape. If the liquid appear more watery than syrupy, remove plums with a slotted spoon and continue to simmer the liquid until a slightly syrupy texture is achieved, then pour over plums. Allow compote to cool to room temperature before placing in an airtight container. Refrigerate if not using right away.
This smoky sauce is wonderful atop grilled chicken or fish, or slathered on grilled bread.
1 bunch spring onions
3 small lemons
2 garlic cloves, skins on
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1. Cut off the roots of the onions, and trim about an inch off their greens. Cut the lemons into thin slices, reserving the ends for another use. Toss the onions, lemon slices, and garlic with the oil, salt and pepper.
2. Grill until charred on all sides, being careful not to burn the garlic. Let cool in a bowl.
3. Peel the garlic and mince. Finely chop the lemons and slice the green onions. Mix everything together with the parsley. Add salt if desired.
This bright aioli is fantastic served with grilled vegetables!
1 shallot, peeled and minced
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh French tarragon, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1. Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth; transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.