A pico de gallo-style salsa bright in flavor and combined with Walla Walla salad onions and mint.
1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed and chopped in half
1 Walla Walla salad onion, peeled and finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
¼ cup fresh lovage, parsley or cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1. Combine tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno pepper in a medium bowl. Add herbs, then drizzle lime juice over the salsa. Season generously with sea salt, to taste. Allow to sit 10-20 minutes on countertop for flavors to fully combine.
This versatile rub is delicious on steak, chicken, fish or even veggies!
¼ cup coarse sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1. Mix all ingredients together to form a paste. Rub directly on meat or poultry, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
In addition to this week’s salad, this versatile dressing pairs well with roasted baby carrots.
Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Fresh ground pepper and sea salt
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, vinegar and honey in a medium bowl until combined.
2. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, until the vinaigrette is smooth and thickened. Stir in the chopped dill and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This versatile concoction can be used as a salad vinaigrette atop spring greens, or spread over Jewish Rye toasts with this week’s smoked salmon.
1 cup crème fraîche
¼ cup lemon juice, plus the zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons freshly-chopped herbs, such as parsley and mint
1. Whisk together the crème fraîche, lemon juice and fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.