A quick and easy dessert using spring rhubarb—simply toss with the following ingredients, then sprinkle with our signature crisp topping.
3-4 cups rhubarb, washed and chopped
1¼ cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1-2 tablespoons of butter
F&L almond crisp topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Toss the rhubarb with sugar and cornstarch. Place in oven safe dish and add butter dabs to the top.
3. Sprinkle the fruit crisp topping evenly over the rhubarb, covering it completely. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling.
This rustic cake has a slightly-crunchy texture courtesy of polenta and is beautifully flavored by olive oil.
Farm & Larder lemon olive oil cake mix
½ cup olive oil
1 cup milk or buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch cake pan or cast iron skillet with 2-inch sides with some of the olive oil.
2. Whisk together milk or buttermilk, eggs, lemon peel, vanilla, and olive oil. Pour the cake mix into this milk mixture and fold together with a spatula until just combined; do not over-mix. Scrape batter into greased pan and spread evenly.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan. Immediately run a knife around edge of cake, and turn cake out onto a cooling rack. Allow cake to cool before cutting.
For optional cake glaze: Combine ¾ cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, adding more lemon juice if needed. Drop by spoonfuls over cake after it has been placed on cooling rack, spreading within half an inch of the cake’s sides.
A springtime take on classic bread pudding!
8 slices Challah bread, lightly toasted and cut into ½-inch cubes
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1½ cups milk
4 tablespoons butter
1½ cups sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
1. Put bread cubes in a greased 2 quart casserole.
2. Melt butter with milk in a saucepan. Pour over bread and let sit 15 minutes.
3. Mix together the eggs, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Stir in rhubarb, then add the entire mixture to the bread mixture.
4. Top with brown sugar and pecans (if using). Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes, or until set. Serve warm.
A true spring treat—just add a dollop of crème fraîche on top!
4 cups chopped rhubarb
F&L cobbler crust mix
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
10 tablespoons cream
1. Melt butter in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the F&L cobbler crust mix with the cream, stirring until dry ingredients are just moistened.
2. Bring the 1 cup sugar, rhubarb, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Pour the rhubarb mixture into the baking dish and top with cobbler batter.
3. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or cool.