This recipe is a favorite here at the farm. Creamy and delicious, it pairs well with steak, chicken, pork or can stand well on its own as the star of your meal—just remember to stir!
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
4-5 cups warm chicken stock
1 ½ cups shelled peas
1 ½ cups sautéed morel mushrooms
½ cup white wine (if desired)
½ finely chopped onions or shallots
1-2 tablespoons chopped garlic (if desired)
1 ¼ cup grated Tomme or Romano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. In a sauce pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil and then turn down to a simmer to keep hot.
2. In another large sauce pan over medium low heat, melt 4-5 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until soft but not brown.
3. Add garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
4. Turn the heat up and add the Arborio rice. Stir for about one minute.
5. Add a ladleful of stock to the rice and continue stirring until almost absorbed.
6. Add another ladleful of stock and the wine and continue stirring – repeat until all the stock is gone and the rice is creamy and tender.
7. Stir in the remaining butter, mushrooms, peas and grated Tomme until melted.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and additional cheese, if desired.