Creamy and delicious, this farm favorite is freshened up by locally-foraged morels and roasted veggies.
1½ cups Arborio rice
4-5 cups warm Farm & Larder chicken stock
1 cup morel mushrooms, washed and patted dry
8 tablespoons butter
½ cup white wine (if desired)
½ finely chopped onion
1-2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 cup grated Grated-style cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley
Roasted Spring Vegetables (see recipe)
1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil and then turn down to a simmer to keep hot.
2. Set another large saucepan over medium low heat, then melt 4-5 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until soft but not brown. Add garlic and morel mushrooms and continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Once morels are soft, remove to a plate.
3. Turn the heat up and add the Arborio rice to the pan with garlic and onion. Stir for about one minute. Add a ladleful of stock to the rice and continue stirring until almost absorbed. Add another ladleful of stock and the wine (if using) and continue stirring. Repeat until all the stock is gone and the rice is creamy and tender (this process usually takes 20-25 minutes).
4. Stir in the remaining butter, mushrooms, and grated cheese until melted.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and additional cheese, if desired, and top with roasted spring vegetables.