Moist and incredibly flavorful, this apple cake comes together in just minutes!
F&L apple cake mix
2 apples, cored and diced
Toasted walnuts and cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and diced apples with the toasted walnuts and cranberries from this week’s delivery, and stir well to combine.
2. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.
This country-style tart allows fall apples to shine, kissed with tart cranberries, brown sugar and a gorgeous honey glaze.
Farm & Larder galette dough, chilled
1 cup fresh cranberries, washed
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
5 tablespoons brown sugar
Pinch ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425° and prepare the filling: Peel apples, coring and cutting them into ¼ -inch slices. In a large bowl toss the apple slices with the cranberries and sprinkle in the cornstarch, brown sugar and cinnamon and toss until the fruit is evenly coated. Set aside.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a large circle about nine inches in diameter. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and draping the dough over the rolling pin, transfer to the prepared baking sheet. (If the dough breaks at all, patch it up with your fingers and a dab of ice water.)
3. Arrange the fruit filling in a mound in the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Dot the fruit with the butter, cut into small pieces. Fold the border over the filling. Bake the tart for 15 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake for another 40 minutes, until the apples and cranberries are juicy and tender and the crust is golden brown.
4. When the tart is done remove it from the oven and transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
This lovely recipe uses honey to draw out the mellow sweetness of pears.
6 firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored and halved
1 cup honey
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Pinch fine sea salt
½ cup dried cranberries
1. Combine 2½ cups water, honey, lemon juice, and sea salt in large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Add pears; reduce heat and simmer until tender, turning occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, depending on ripeness. Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to medium bowl. Boil liquid until reduced to 1 cup syrup, about 22 minutes. Pour syrup over pears. Cover and chill until cold, about 2 hours.
3. Divide pears and syrup among 6 bowls. Top each with a sprinkling of dried cranberries and serve slightly chilled or at room temperature with a dollop of slightly sweetened crème fraîche and a shortbread cookie, if desired.
So simple, so delicious: Simply toss apple slices with cornstarch and sugar, then sprinkle with the topping from this week’s box.
4 cups peeled and sliced apples
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1-2 tablespoons of butter
Farm & Larder walnut-cinnamon apple crisp topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Toss the fruit with sugar and cornstarch. Place in an oven safe dish and add butter dabs to the top. Sprinkle the fruit crisp topping evenly over the apple slices, covering completely.
3. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbly, about 35-40 minutes.