Breakfast Barley with Dried Fruit & Nuts
Chewy, nutty barley is topped with fruit, nuts and a hint of cinnamon to create a hearty and satisfying breakfast.
2 cups cooked barley*
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 pinch salt (if you didn’t salt barley during cooking process)
2 medium apples diced
¼ cup walnuts chopped
¼ cup dried cherries
¼ cup pure maple syrup
Milk, to serve (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pot heated over medium heat.
2. Stir frequently until warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour into four bowls and serve with milk if desired.
*To prep barley, combine 1 cup barley with 3 cups water or stock in a saucepan, adding a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the barley is tender. Drain and cool until ready to use.
Marge Granola owner Megan Gordon shares her tips and tricks for creating your own scrumptious batch of granola.
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 to 2 ½ cups your choice of nuts and seeds*
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamom
½ cup oil, such as olive oil
½ cup + 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener, such as honey or maple syrup
¾ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cups dried fruits, chopped
* Note: Nuts that are already roasted should go in at the end after the granola is baked so as not to burn.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the oats and any untoasted nuts or seeds together in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
2. Add salt, cinnamon, and cardamom and stir thoroughly to combine, then stir in the oil, sweetener, and vanilla.
3. Turn the granola out onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the mixture is light brown and toasty. Stir every 15 minutes or so for an even color and to make sure the granola is cooking evenly. (If using coconut, add in the last 15 minutes of baking.)
4. Roughly chop any dried fruits and roasted nuts being added after baking. Remove from the oven and add the chopped dried fruits and any roasted nuts at this time. Stir to combine. Let cool before enjoying and store in an airtight container for fresh granola up to 7 to 10 days.