Brushed with a sweet-tart glaze, these grilled carrots are sure to wow.
1 bunch carrots, peeled
1 large orange
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter
Freshly-chopped herbs of your choice, such as parsley, oregano and tarragon
1. To make the glaze, juice the orange in a small non-reactive saucepan. Over medium-heat, add the brown sugar and butter and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Brush the carrots lightly with olive oil and place directly on grill. Grill until crisp-tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally during cooking. In the last few minutes of cooking, brush the carrots all over with the glaze.
3. Remove the carrots to a plate, sprinkle with salt and fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
The longer these cook, the sweeter and more caramelized they will become.
1 pound pearl onions, peeled
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1½ teaspoons fresh thyme, leaves removed from sprigs
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle with sugar; season with salt and pepper. Add ⅔ cup water and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.