Sautéed Turnips with Garlic Scapes
Tossed with flavorful garlic scapes, these turnip and greens are incredibly tender thanks to a quick simmer in chicken stock.
1 bunch Tokyo Market turnips with greens
2-3 garlic scapes, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
¼ cup golden raisins, plumped in water and drained
1. Thoroughly wash turnips, then trim greens from turnip bulbs. Set greens out on a paper towel to drain. Meanwhile, trim turnip bulb ends and thinly slice. Then, coarsely chop greens.
2. Heat garlic scapes in oil over medium heat in a large skillet until garlic begins to sizzle. Add the turnips and greens. Turn and coat with oil as you wilt the greens.
2. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes to soften.
3. Transfer turnips, greens and garlic to a serving platter and top with plumped golden raisins.
Purple Cauliflower with Golden Raisins & Almonds
This beautiful side from Martha Stewart is topped with a delightful combination of juicy raisins, crunchy almonds and sherry vinegar.
2 heads purple cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
½ cup golden raisins
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons sherry or cider vinegar
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°, with racks in middle and lower third.
2. Place raisins in a measuring cup and cover with very hot water. Arrange cauliflower on two rimmed baking sheets. Toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake 10 minutes.
3. Turn cauliflower and top with almonds. Bake until cauliflower is browned and tender and almonds are toasted, 10 minutes. Drain raisins. Transfer cauliflower to a serving dish; top with raisins and drizzle with sherry vinegar.