This fresh salad is a lovely use for beautiful summer greens.
4 cups mixed summer greens, washed and patted dry
½ pound green beans, trimmed
½ pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
4 anchovy fillets, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
Edible flowers, for garnish
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Working in batches, blanch green beans in a pot of generously salted boiling water until bright and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath and let cool; remove. Return water in the pot to a boil, and blanch snow peas, in batches, about 1 minute. Transfer to ice bath until cool; remove peas, and cut in half.
2. Whisk together the anchovies, lemon juice and sour cream in a bowl. Slowly add oil in a steady stream, whisking until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide the lettuce greens, green beans and peas among four plates, and top each with chopped eggs and herbs. Drizzle with dressing, season with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with edible flowers.
This salad puts both egg yolks and whites to delicious use.
2 hard-boiled duck egg whites, sliced
½ pound asparagus, roasted or grilled
6 cups mixed spring lettuce greens, such as sunflower and pea shoots, plus arugula
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 hard-boiled duck egg yolks
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon paprika
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. To make the vinaigrette: In a food processor or blender, purée egg yolks, vinegar, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper until well combined. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until all the oil is incorporated.
2. In a large serving bowl, toss together egg whites, asparagus, spring greens and tomatoes. Toss with the vinaigrette and season to taste with more pepper as desired.
This week’s lineup is truly color-rich, from fresh-picked rainbow Swiss chard, purple kohlrabi and red cherry tomatoes to beautiful lemon, lime and Cara Cara citrus fruits and pickled carrots from the farmhouse kitchen. Accompanying this bright roster are tangy sheep’s milk feta cheese, a crisp rosé wine, multigrain bread and sweet Kugelhopf cakes to help polish off your spring feast.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Grilled Potato Salad with Hard-Boiled Eggs & Mustard Vinaigrette
Accented with mustard vinaigrette and spicy arugula, this potato salad boasts big, bold flavor.
Kohlrabi & Turnip Slaw
This crisp slaw is a wonderful accompaniment to grilled meats, or even served atop burgers.
Rainbow Swiss Chard Gratin
Creamy with just a hint of mustard, this rustic gratin is wonderful served with this week’s multigrain bread.
Charred Green Onion Gremolata
This smoky sauce is wonderful atop grilled chicken or fish, or slathered on grilled bread.
Green Garlic Salad Dressing
Flavor-packed ground mustard, vinegar and green garlic stalks mix beautifully in this easy vinaigrette.
This classic curd recipe from Gourmet magazine will soon be a new favorite!
Cara Cara Orange Compote
This tart-sweet spread is lovely served alongside this week’s Kugelhopf cakes.