Kissed with freshly-squeezed orange juice, cilantro and mint, this salad will brighten up any spread.
6 golden beets, tops removed
1 red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, packed
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
1. In a large pot bring enough water to cover beets to a boil. Add in beets and allow to simmer until beets are tender enough to be pierced with a fork, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the pot and allow beets to cool completely. While running under cold water, remove the skins from the beets using a peeler. Cut beets into 2” pieces and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine orange juice, olive oil, cumin and salt. Stir well and set aside.
3. In a large bowl add in beets, fresh mint, fresh cilantro, sliced onions and dressing and toss until everything is mixed together. Top with more fresh herbs and serve.
This flavor-packed vinaigrette is fantastic with both grains and greens.
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons minced fresh Italian parsley
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
½ teaspoon fresh Meyer lemon zest
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a pint-sized jar with a tight-fitting lid, cover, and shake vigorously until emulsified, about 30 seconds. Reserve until ready to use.
Tossed with fresh mint for added brightness, this barbecued eggplant boasts a wonderfully-rich and smoky flavor.
2 medium eggplants
Olive oil, for basting
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1-2 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons very coarsely chopped mint
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Prepare the dressing: Whisk olive oil, lemon zest and juice and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Add in sugar, salt and pepper and check for taste (it should be fairly sweet). Add in half of the chopped mint and set aside.
2. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into about 8 thin slices about ¼-inch thick, then brush each liberally with olive oil. Lay on the grill, cooking each side about 2-3 minutes until golden brown and slightly charred.
3. Arrange the slices on a large platter and spoon dressing over top. Cover and set aside to allow eggplant to soak up the dressing. Sprinkle with the remaining mint and serve warm or at room temperature.
Crafted from tender basil leaves, sweet pine nuts, extra-virgin olive oil, Grana-style cheese, fragrant garlic and a kiss of sea salt, classic Genovese pesto is a true taste of summer—and our weekly delivery comes complete with the ingredients to craft your own incredibly fresh version. Accompanied by imported orecchiette pasta and fresh Italian Rustica bread to pair with that glorious pesto, this summery lineup also includes farm-fresh eggs, heirloom tomatoes, a crisp rosé and beautifully ripe plums. Mangia!
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Classic Basil Pesto
Toss it on pasta, stir into salad dressings, drizzle over heirloom tomatoes—the possibilities are endless with this classic sauce!
Frisée Salad with Plums & Hazelnuts
Later in the fall, this salad is equally amazing with slices of crisp apple or juicy pear.
Slow-Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes
Slow-roasting these beautiful tomatoes concentrates their unique flavor—try these with a drizzle of pesto!
Grilled Turnips with Mint & Lime
The bright combination of mint and lime adds summery appeal to these tender-crisp grilled turnips.
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Honey & Lemon
Break out the barbecue for these flavorful cauliflower “steaks”!
This delectable compote is delicious spooned over yogurt, ice cream, even waffles or pancakes!