Kissed with freshly-squeezed orange juice, cilantro and mint, this salad will brighten up any spread.
6 golden beets, tops removed
1 red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, packed
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
1. In a large pot bring enough water to cover beets to a boil. Add in beets and allow to simmer until beets are tender enough to be pierced with a fork, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the pot and allow beets to cool completely. While running under cold water, remove the skins from the beets using a peeler. Cut beets into 2” pieces and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine orange juice, olive oil, cumin and salt. Stir well and set aside.
3. In a large bowl add in beets, fresh mint, fresh cilantro, sliced onions and dressing and toss until everything is mixed together. Top with more fresh herbs and serve.
An excellent side for grilled chicken or fish!
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ preserved lemon, rinsed, flesh removed and finely diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon La Boîte Tangier N.23 Spice Blend
2 cups uncooked white rice
2 cups cooked chickpeas
½ cup sultanas
¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
1. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onion, and garlic for a few minutes until the onion begins to sweat.
2. Add the preserved lemon and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add the bay leaf, spice blend, and chickpeas. Simmer, covered, over medium or medium low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Fluff and add the sultanas and fresh parsley; serve warm or at room temperature.