Topped with ripe strawberries, these shortcakes are moist, crumbly and just a touch sweet.
Farm & Larder shortcake mix
¾ cup heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon
4 cups strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced
½ cup sugar
1 cup Farm & Larder crème fraîche
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Add the shortcake mix to a large mixing bowl. Measure ¾ cup cream; set aside 1 tablespoon. Add the remaining cream to the dry mixture, and stir with a fork until the mixture just comes together.
2. Lightly knead the dough a few times in the bowl, turn it out onto a lightly floured board, and roll out about ¾-inch thick. Cut six 2½-inch circles or squares out of the dough. Reroll the scraps, you should be able to get 2 or 3 more shortcakes out of it.
3. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment, and brush the tops with the tablespoon of cream. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool.
4. In a second bowl, mix the sliced strawberries with sugar. To assemble, split each shortcake in half and top both halves with a serving of berries. Finish with a generous dollop of honeyed crème fraîche.
This amazing combination is wonderful atop shortcakes or pretty much any other fruit tart!
1 cup crème fraîche
2 tablespoons honey
1. Combine crème fraîche and honey in a bowl; chill until use.
Even though mornings now greet us with a crisp hint of fall, our beautiful summer continues to linger with warm afternoons and sun-ripened produce. Take advantage this week with a grill-friendly feast flush with seasonal favorites: Crisp cabbage and cucumbers, ripe tomatoes and corn, all to toss into summery sides, plus housemade pickled okra and whole grain bread, rosé wine and all the ingredients for peach shortcakes topped with vanilla-honey crème fraîche.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
This zippy coleslaw is incredibly crisp and fresh, with cabbage, cucumber and scallions.
Tomato Salad with Corn, Summer Squash & Roasted Onions
Roasted red onion adds a wonderful depth of flavor to this refreshing salad.
Grilled Corn with Dry Grilling Rub
An innovative use for our housemade rub!
Summer Squash Butter
This simple spread is amazing slathered on freshly-toasted whole grain bread.
Donut Peach Shortcakes with Vanilla-Honey Crème Fraîche
Topped with our housemade crème fraîche and ripe Donut peaches, these shortcakes are moist, crumbly and just a touch sweet.