Tossed with lemon-kissed breadcrumbs, this bright side makes beautiful use of fresh peas.
1½ cups snow peas, ends trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup Panko or coarse bread crumbs
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
Zest of 1 lemon
Pinch red chili flakes
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until they’re coated in the oil. Toast, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the breadcrumbs deep golden brown.
2. Stir in the garlic and cook for about a minute until fragrant, then add the lemon zest, chili flakes and a large pinch of salt, stirring to combine. Remove the breadcrumb mixture from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and let it heat for a few seconds. Add the snow peas and a pinch of salt and cook for a minute or two, stirring frequently, until they turn bright green and are just tender but still have some bite to them. Fold in the breadcrumbs and serve immediately.
Serve this colorful stir-fry alongside potstickers and steamed rice for an easy dinner.
1 pound baby bok choy, cored and roughly chopped
½ pound mushrooms, such as Cinnamon Cap, washed and trimmed
1 cup thinly-sliced radishes
2-3 scallions, trimmed of root ends and chopped
1 leek, trimmed of root and tough green ends, and chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable or safflower oil
1 red or green jalapeño, thinly sliced (remove ribs and seeds for less heat)
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
6 tablespoons water
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the jalapeño, garlic and ginger, stirring frequently, until softened about 1 minute.
2. Add the baby bok choy, mushrooms, radishes, leek and scallions, then the water; cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 2-3 minutes. Uncover and sauté until any remaining liquid evaporates.
3. Splash vegetables with soy sauce to taste and serve.
This fresh salad is a lovely use for beautiful summer greens.
4 cups mixed summer greens, washed and patted dry
½ pound green beans, trimmed
½ pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
4 anchovy fillets, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
Edible flowers, for garnish
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Working in batches, blanch green beans in a pot of generously salted boiling water until bright and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath and let cool; remove. Return water in the pot to a boil, and blanch snow peas, in batches, about 1 minute. Transfer to ice bath until cool; remove peas, and cut in half.
2. Whisk together the anchovies, lemon juice and sour cream in a bowl. Slowly add oil in a steady stream, whisking until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide the lettuce greens, green beans and peas among four plates, and top each with chopped eggs and herbs. Drizzle with dressing, season with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with edible flowers.