Grilled Vegetable Salad
Tossed with a balsamic dressing, this gorgeous salad pairs well with protein hot off the grill.
1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices
2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices
2 small or one medium summer squash, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed of root ends
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into quarters lengthwise
¼ cup olive oil
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into a thin chiffonade
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
For the dressing:
½ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Carefully lay out all the vegetables on the rack and grill until all are tender and slightly charred, pulling off vegetables as they are done. (Some will cook quicker than others.)
3. Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
4. Remove vegetables from grill; cool slightly. Cut any larger vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Arrange vegetables on a large serving platter and toss gently with the reserved vinaigrette. Garnish with the basil leaves and pine nuts; serve either warm or at room temperature.
Crisp Cucumber & Cherry Tomato Salad
This cool side is tossed with spring onions, a medley of herbs and our blood orange-white balsamic vinaigrette.
1 slicing cucumber, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed and sliced in half
½ cup spring onion, thinly-sliced into rounds
4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Farm & Larder white balsamic-blood orange vinaigrette
Fresh cracked pepper
1. Toss cucumber pieces, cherry tomato halves and sweet onion slices in a large bowl along with fresh herbs.
2. Drizzle with about ½ cup of the vinaigrette, adding more to taste, and combine all ingredients, allowing to sit for a few minutes for flavor to meld. Season with fresh cracked pepper as desired.
Fresh Fourth Recipes
Fire up the grill and gather family and friends round this week for a flavorful Fourth of July spread highlighted by crisp, cool summer salads. With produce ranging from sweet red peppers and rainbow cherry tomatoes to fresh fennel and juicy blueberries, this heat-beating menu also features housemade chevre and crème fraîche, a refreshing white wine from France and a light and moist lemon olive oil cake kissed with polenta. Shake up a summery cocktail, sit back and enjoy your Independence Day!
Here are a few recipes ideas for the week:
This cool beverage will be a hit with your guests.
Mint & Citrus White Wine Sangria
Sweetened with anise hyssop simple syrup, this citrus-kissed beverage is incredibly refreshing!
Fresh Herb Rub
This versatile rub is delicious on steak, chicken, fish even veggies!
These smoky charred slices are an excellent base for bruschetta, fresh cheese, or any other topping you can dream up.
Cherry Tomato Salsa with Fresh Herbs
A pico de gallo-style salsa bright in flavor and combined with lime, cilantro and mint.
Beet Salad with Fresh Chevre & Shaved Fennel
Tossed with a blood orange vinaigrette, this showpiece salad boasts beautiful color.
Escarole Salad with Radish & Spring Onion
This salad is packed with bold flavor, drizzled with a Parmesan-Dijon dressing.
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
Easy to prepare ahead, these fragrant potatoes are excellent served at room temperature.
Lemon Olive Oil Cake
This simple, rustic cake has a slightly-crunchy texture courtesy of polenta and is beautifully flavored by olive oil.