This easy dessert is sure to please the whole family!
For the topping:
½ stick (¼ cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the batter:
1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups blueberries, picked over and rinsed
2 nectarines, pitted and cut into 1-inch wedges
1. Make the topping: In a small bowl, blend together the butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until the mixture resembles coarse meal; chill the topping while making the batter.
2. Make the batter: In a small bowl with an electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar and beat in the vanilla. In a small bowl stir together the baking powder, the flour, and the salt, beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and fold in the blueberries and the nectarines.
3. Spread the batter in a well-buttered 10-by 2-inch round cake pan or 2-quart baking pan, sprinkle the topping evenly over it and bake the buckle in the middle of a preheated 350° oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean and the topping is crisp and golden. Serve the buckle with whipped cream or ice cream.
Moist and incredibly flavorful, this summer fruit cake comes together in just minutes!
F&L summer fruit cake mix
2 cups of summer fruit or berries, diced if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, diced fruit or berries, stirring well to combine.
2. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and back for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.
Variation: This is also lovely baked in a cast-iron pan as an upside down cake. For this method, melt ⅓ cup butter and ⅓ cup sugar in a cast iron pan over medium-low heat, then pour in the mixed cake batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and invert the pan on a rimmed plate. Let sit 5 minutes then carefully remove the pan from the cake.
It’s hard to beat this classic summer dessert—just add vanilla ice cream!
F&L cobbler crust mix
F&L cherry-almond topping
1 large egg
1¼ cups milk or buttermilk
¼ cup vegetable oil or shortening
4 cups sliced peaches
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1. Melt butter in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Meanwhile, beat the egg in a large bowl and then stir in the F&L cobbler crust mix, milk or buttermilk and vegetable oil or shortening until just combined (batter will be slightly lumpy).
2. In a saucepan, bring sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Pour the peach mixture into the baking dish and top with cobbler batter and then sprinkle with the cherry-almond topping.
3. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or at room temperature.