Our favorite way to cook beets, this method creates tender, delicious beets that are easy to peel and serve in a warm salad.
3-4 golden beets
½ tablespoon oil
½ cup water
Fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and place the beets in a roasting pan and coat with oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Add the water to the pan and cover with foil. Put the pan in the oven.
3. Roast the beets until they are tender, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour, larger beets may take a bit longer. They are done when you can easily insert a paring knife into the center and meet only a little resistance.
4. Let them cool slightly, then use a towel to gently rub off the skin (this is much easier when they are still warm).
5. Slice into bite-sized pieces.