This creamy and delicious recipe is a favorite here at the farm—just remember to stir!
1½ cups Arborio rice
4 cups warm chicken stock
½ cup white wine (if desired)
½ finely chopped onions or shallots
1-2 tablespoons chopped garlic (if desired)
½ cup sautéed black Trumpet mushrooms
8 tablespoons butter or olive oil (can use a mixture)
¼ cup grated Grana cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil and then turn down to a simmer to keep hot.
2. In another large saucepan over medium low heat, melt 4-5 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until soft but not brown. Add garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
3. Turn the heat up and add the Arborio rice, stir for about one minute. Add a ladleful of stock to the rice and continue stirring until almost absorbed.
4. Add another ladleful of stock and the wine and continue stirring. Repeat until all the stock is gone and the rice is creamy and tender.
5. Stir in the remaining butter, sautéed mushrooms and grated Grana until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.