This hearty salad is accented by fall apples, tart cranberries and a sweet-savory dressing.
3 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
2 cups thinly chopped Lacinato kale
1 apple, finely diced
2 small avocados (or 1 large) diced
½ cup shaved almonds
½ cup dried cranberries
4 tablespoons F&L mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 4 small lemons
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1. Add salad ingredients to a large bowl.
2. Prepare dressing by mixing together mustard, olive oil, lemons, and maple syrup together with a fork until smooth.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad ingredients, and toss together until evenly coated.
This crisp slaw is light and refreshing, packed with fresh parsley, pine nuts and a touch of cheese.
1 medium celery root, peeled, quartered and julienned
2-3 carrots, peeled and julienned
2 apples, quartered, cored and julienned
1 ½ cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, loosely packed
½ cup shaved Pecorino, Parmesan or Manchego cheese
½ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Add the celery root, carrots, apple, and parsley to a large bowl. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt into the bowl and toss.
2. Then, add most of the cheese, the oil, nuts, vinegar, and several grinds of pepper. Gently toss to combine well. Season to taste with salt and vinegar. Serve right away drizzled with more oil, sprinkled with additional pepper, and topped with the remaining cheese.
This beautiful salad is light and fresh, a perfect pairing for fall’s heartier pastas, risottos and soups.
4 cups salad greens, washed and patted dry
1 cup radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
1 apple, cored and diced
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
¾ cup walnuts
¼ dried cranberries
F&L apple cider-honey vinaigrette
Fresh ground pepper
1. In large bowl combine the greens, radicchio and apple slices. Drizzle about ¼ cup of the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to incorporate, then add more as desired. Top salad with crumbled blue cheese, walnuts and dried cranberries. Add fresh ground pepper over if needed.
This light and bright dressing is the perfect compliment to peppery chicory greens.
6 cups chicory, leaves separated and torn
1 cup pecans
¼ cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
¼ cup whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup thinly sliced chives
¼ cup goat cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until slightly darkened and fragrant, 6-8 minutes. Let cool; crush or coarsely chop.
2. Whisk vinegar, mustard, and honey in a large bowl to combine. Add chicory, chives, and half of the pecans. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and lots of pepper, and toss to coat. Top salad with remaining pecans and goat cheese.