This bright aioli is fantastic served with grilled asparagus!
1 shallot, peeled and minced
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1. Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth; transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
Use these preserves in this week’s risotto, or whisk the pulp into a salad dressing or a Bloody Mary.
6 Meyer lemons
⅓ cup kosher salt
⅔ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1. Scrub lemons and dry well. Quarter lemons lengthwise.
2. Toss the lemon wedges with the salt in a bowl and transfer to a sterile 4-cup glass jar. Use a wooden spoon to press the lemons to fit. Add lemon juice and any remaining salt that might be left in the bowl. Seal jar tightly and shake to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 3 days, shaking jar each day. Transfer to the refrigerator for 3 weeks or until rinds are soft. Rinse before using.
Another fun addition to an antipasti platter!
2 medium-sized tart-crisp apples, such as Granny Smith, cut into thin slices
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
½ cup brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1. Fill a 1-liter mason jar with apple slices.
2. Combine cider vinegar with water, sugar, cinnamon, salt and ginger in a medium saucepan over high. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Pour over apple slices, close lid and refrigerate overnight. Keeps well for up to two weeks.
This rosy-colored roasted dish makes for an excellent dessert, especially served with vanilla ice cream!
14 ounces rhubarb
1 blood or navel orange (or 1 lemon)
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons Demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 300°. Cut the rhubarb into 2 to 2 ½ -inch pieces and place in a medium bowl. Finely grate the zest of half the orange over rhubarb, then squeeze the juice of the whole orange into the bowl. Add the vanilla and sugar and stir to combine.
2. Pour the rhubarb into a baking dish and arrange the pieces so that they lie flat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with crème fraîche.