This citrus-kissed salad is beautifully presented with colorful orange slices and crisp fennel.
2 Cara Cara oranges
2 blood oranges
6 cups Mizuna greens
1-2 fennel bulbs, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus a small handful of the fronds
¼ cup good-quality Parmesan cheese, shaved
Farm & Larder citrus vinaigrette
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1. Spread the Mizuna out on a large, round serving platter to make a bed.
2. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the tops and bottoms off the oranges. Stand oranges up and slice to remove the peel and membrane. Then, slice oranges crosswise into thin wheels.
3. Scatter fennel over the greens, then top with the orange slices. Drizzle several tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the salad and toss lightly to coat. Top salad with fennel fronds, shaved Parmesan cheese and a dash of fresh ground pepper, if desired.
Tart, sweet and lively with bright citrus flavor, this compote is excellent on French toast.
2 Cara Cara oranges, peeled and separated, pith removed
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brandy
1. In a small, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, combine orange sections, sugar, and brandy. Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash oranges as they heat up to release juices. Stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
A refreshing, spring take on classic coleslaw!
3 medium oranges
1 large bunch baby red beets, peeled and shredded
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1. Using a fine grater, grate the zest from one of the oranges. Juice two of the oranges and then peel, seed and dice the remaining orange.
2. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and zest, olive oil and then the lemon juice and zest. Whisk in the salt and set aside.
3. In a salad bowl, combine the diced oranges with the shredded beets. Drizzle with the dressing, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, tossing the salad a few times as it chills. Taste for seasoning and add more salt as needed; garnish with the parsley before serving.
This crisp, citrus-kissed salad is both bold in flavor and beautiful in presentation.
1 Cara Cara orange
½ pound arugula greens
½ pound pea shoots
2 petite fennel bulbs, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus a handful of the fronds
1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
⅓ cup freshly squeezed juice from a Cara Cara orange
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
¾ cup olive oil
Sea salt salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Spread the arugula greens out on a large, round serving platter to make a bed.
2. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the tops and bottoms off the orange. Stand oranges up and slice to remove the peel and membrane. Then, slice oranges crosswise into thin wheels.
3. Arrange the orange on top of the arugula, overlapping the slices slightly. Then layer on the fennel slices. Scatter the pea shoots on top of the salad.
4. Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and drizzle over the salad and then season with ground pepper if desired.