This bright and fresh salad shines a spotlight on light, tender, succulent fava greens.
4 cups packed fava leaves/shoots
2 Cara Cara oranges zested, segmented, and juices reserved (use zest for dressing)
2 grapefruits segmented and juices reserved
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup toasted and chopped walnuts
1. To make the dressing, combine the reserved orange juices and grapefruit juices with the shallot, salt, pepper, and orange zest in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until well blended.
2. Place the fava leaves in a large serving bowl and lightly toss with the dressing. (You might not use all of it.)
3. Divide the fava leaves among four plates and arrange the orange and grapefruit segments around the leaves. Sprinkle the feta and walnuts on top, then garnish with a few fava flowers and a pinch of orange zest on each plate.
Moist and incredibly flavorful, this apple cake comes together in just minutes!
F&L apple cake mix
2 apples, cored and diced
Toasted walnuts and cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and diced apples with the toasted walnuts and cranberries from this week’s delivery, and stir well to combine.
2. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.
This crisp potato salad will be especially beautiful with this week’s Magic Myrna fingerling potatoes.
2 pounds fingerling potatoes
6 tablespoons crème fraîche
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 cup chopped apple
4 stalks celery
½ cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
½ cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Place the potatoes in a large, wide pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt, reduce heat, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the crème fraîche, vinegar, mustard, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
3. Cut the potatoes in half (or quarter if large). Add the potatoes to the dressing and gently toss to coat. Fold in the apples, celery, walnuts, and parsley.
This beautiful salad is light and fresh, a perfect pairing for fall’s heartier pastas, risottos and soups.
4 cups salad greens, washed and patted dry
1 cup radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
1 apple, cored and diced
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
¾ cup walnuts
¼ dried cranberries
F&L apple cider-honey vinaigrette
Fresh ground pepper
1. In large bowl combine the greens, radicchio and apple slices. Drizzle about ¼ cup of the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to incorporate, then add more as desired. Top salad with crumbled blue cheese, walnuts and dried cranberries. Add fresh ground pepper over if needed.