Topped with a light vinaigrette and roasted pecans, this salad is both colorful and satisfying.
Roasted baby red and yellow beets, sliced in half and still warm from the oven (see enclosed recipe)
2-3 cups Mesclun greens, washed and dried
½ cup F&L rosemary pecans
½ cup high-quality olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 small clove garlic, crushed
Fresh ground pepper
1. To prepare vinaigrette: Whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic together, seasoning with fresh ground pepper to taste.
2. To assemble the salad: Arrange the greens on a large platter and then top with beet slices. Top with roasted pecans, then drizzle with the vinaigrette. Top with additional ground pepper to taste.
This fresh salad combines gorgeous spinach and crisp apples slices and is finished with a light Champagne apple cider vinaigrette.
½ pound spinach greens, stem ends removed
1 Gala apple, cored and thinly-sliced
½ cup crumbled Westward blue cheese
½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon minced shallot
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss mixed greens with the apple slices.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine vinegars and shallot, then whisk in olive oil to combine. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad greens, tossing to combine. Top salad with crumbled blue cheese, toasted pecans and a twist or two of fresh ground pepper if desired.
Take a break from the holiday hustle and bustle this week with our housemade white bean soup— this hearty recipe crafted from pancetta, garlic and our scratch-made chicken stock is wonderful served alongside a beautiful salad of winter greens topped with crisp apples and Westward blue cheese. Also included in this delivery: Beautiful key limes from our own tree, freshly-baked Challah bread and a sparkling French Brut to toast to the New Year. Happy holidays!
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Seasonal Green Salad with Apples, Blue Cheese & Pecans
This fresh salad combines winter greens and crisp apples slices and is finished with a light Champagne apple cider vinaigrette.
Challah Bread French Toast
This lovely and light French toast is wonderful topped with maple syrup, blueberry jam or confectioners’ sugar.
Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower
So simple, so stunning: Use this basic roasting method as a jumping off point for enjoying this crunchy, mellow vegetable.
Balsamic-Glazed Root Vegetables
An herb-packed marinade infuses fresh flavor into winter staples like carrots and squash.
Creamy Key Lime Pudding
A wonderfully-light dessert to serve after heavier holiday fare!
A simple and delicious method to cook these hearty greens. They make a great accompaniment to any main dish!
Water or white wine
Sherry or red wine vinegar or red pepper flakes
1. Sauté the greens in a pan with the olive oil and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add a splash of water or wine and let cook until the greens are tender.
3. To finish, add a dash of red wine or sherry vinegar or a pinch of red pepper flakes. It is also delicious with a little sautéed pancetta!