Featuring arugula and chives, this bright and fresh salad is our go-to side salad for pretty much any meal!
1 head of Romaine lettuce
1 head butter lettuce
1 bunch arugula
1-2 cups microgreens, such as pea and sunflower shoots
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped dill
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded, and sliced
1 medium avocado
For the dressing:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Pinch of sea salt
Several grinds black pepper
1 small clove of garlic, minced
1. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic in the bottom of a salad bowl.
2. Wash the greens and dry very well. Tear into bite-sized pieces over dressing. Do not toss. Wash herbs and spin dry. Add to top of lettuce. Add sliced cucumber slices on top.
3. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for several hours. Just before serving, peel and slice avocado and add to greens. Toss gently, but well, and serve.
This light and bright salad is the perfect summer side.
8-10 cups watercress, trimmed
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
¼ cup dried cranberries
F&L orange-honey vinaigrette
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine watercress, oranges, avocado and cranberries. Drizzle about ½ cup of the vinaigrette over the salad; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional vinaigrette, as desired.
What a wet spring it has been so far: Rid yourself of the rainy day blues this week with our hearty housemade chicken posole soup crafted with Bella Luna chicken stock, chili peppers and hominy, plus sun-dried tomato Pomodoro bread and all the fixings for a bright Cara Cara orange and honey-lime salad to serve alongside. The week’s provisions also include spring produce such as cauliflower, radishes and golden beets, Portuguese white wine and a decadent dark chocolate and sea salt bar to enjoy for dessert. Enjoy!
Here are some recipe ideas for the week:
Cara Cara Orange Salad with Honey-Lime Vinaigrette
This crisp, citrus-kissed salad is both bold in flavor and beautiful in presentation.
Buttered Radishes with Poached Eggs
Tender radishes and shallots are topped with a silky poached egg for the perfect finish.
This creamy side dish from Martha Stewart is an excellent alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
Seasoned with parsley, garlic and lemon, this incredibly-easy cauliflower recipe is a keeper.
Roasted Golden Beet & Carrot Dip
This beautiful spread is delicious slathered on toasted bread.
Braised Radishes with Shallots
Tender and juicy, these beautiful radishes are accented by fresh parsley and balsamic vinegar.
This light salad is lovely topped with our housemade chive blossom vinaigrette.
1 pound mixed salad greens
2-3 plums, washed, pitted and thinly sliced
1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
Farm & Larder chive blossom vinaigrette
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
¼ cup goat cheese (optional)
Fresh ground pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss salad greens with plum slices, avocado and slivered almonds. Drizzle with chive blossom vinaigrette, tossing to coat.
2. Transfer to serving platter and season with fresh ground pepper. If using, garnish with goat cheese crumbles.