Brushed with a sweet-tart glaze, these grilled carrots are sure to wow.
1 bunch carrots, peeled
1 large orange
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter
Freshly-chopped herbs of your choice, such as parsley, oregano and tarragon
1. To make the glaze, juice the orange in a small non-reactive saucepan. Over medium-heat, add the brown sugar and butter and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Brush the carrots lightly with olive oil and place directly on grill. Grill until crisp-tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally during cooking. In the last few minutes of cooking, brush the carrots all over with the glaze.
3. Remove the carrots to a plate, sprinkle with salt and fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
This versatile rub is delicious on steak, chicken, fish or even veggies!
¼ cup coarse sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons chopped fresh golden oregano
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1. Mix all ingredients together to form a paste. Rub directly on meat or poultry, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
Sweet and delicious with green tops, these onions are at their best grilled.
Whole green onions with tops
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat.
2. Wash and trim any roots from bottom of onions. Then, trim onions to approximately 12 inches in length and slice in half lengthwise, leaving green tops attached.
3. Spray or brush baking sheet with olive oil. Brush onion halves with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Grill the onions until tender and caramelized. If desired, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with fresh herbs before serving.
Fire up the barbecue and gather round to celebrate dear old dad this week with a summery menu highlighted by our smoky housemade BBQ beans, spicy pickled okra and corn muffins from Snohomish Bakery, plus locally-made, small-batch BBQ dippin’ sauce and house-blend dry rub to accent whatever you decide to throw on the grill. These American classics are also accented by a bevy of beautiful summer greens, ripe local strawberries and other fresh produce like baby red potatoes, Shiitake mushrooms, sugar snap peas and baby golden beets.
Here are some recipe ideas for the week:
Golden Beet & Snap Pea Salad
This colorful salad is perfectly complemented by a lemon-honey vinaigrette.
This lovely vinaigrette is bright with lemon juice, sweet honey and fresh parsley.
Oven-Roasted Shiitake Mushroom & Vegetable Salad
This room temperature salad is also wonderful served over grilled slices of polenta.
Buttermilk Ranch Potato Salad
Tossed with a plethora of fresh herbs including cilantro, dill and chives, this potato salad is incredibly fresh-tasting.
Grilled Turnips with Mint & Lime
The bright combination of mint and lime adds summery appeal to these tender-crisp grilled turnips.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake
A fitting dessert after a meal honoring dad!