Crafted with our own mushroom ragout, this creamy and delicious recipe is a favorite here at the farm.
1½ cups Arborio rice
4 cups chicken stock
½ cup white wine (if desired)
½ finely chopped onions or shallots
1-2 tablespoons chopped garlic (if desired)
8 tablespoons butter or olive oil (can use a mixture)
F&L white Chanterelle mushroom ragout
¼ cup grated Grana cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil and then turn down to a simmer to keep hot.
2. In another large saucepan over medium low heat, melt 4-5 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until soft but not brown. Add garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Turn the heat up and add the Arborio rice, stir for about one minute. Add a ladleful of stock to the rice and continue stirring until almost absorbed.
3. Add another ladleful of stock and the wine (if using) and continue stirring. Repeat until all the stock is gone and the rice is creamy and tender.
4. Stir in the remaining butter, the white Chanterelle mushroom ragout and grated Grana, until the ragout is warmed through and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with fresh parsley, then serve.
The Italian summer calls to mind visions of flavorful pasta enjoyed alongside a bottle of fine wine and beautifully prepared garden-grown produce. Hence, this week’s box captures the flavors of summer by way of Italy with Skagit River Ranch’s organic Italian sausage and imported semolina pasta to toss with a super-fresh heirloom tomato sauce, plus garlic fougasse bread and creamy chevre cheese from Lost Peacock Creamery. Also included for this relaxed, refreshing meal: Ripe and juicy summer nectarines, Badge Flame beets and other seasonal highlights like Romano beans, English cucumber and Little Gem Romaine.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Summer Heirloom Tomato Pasta with Italian Sausage
This light and lovely pasta makes the best of summer heirlooms; we also recommend adding a dollop of creamy chevre to each serving!
Baked Eggs with Heirloom Tomatoes
Juicy tomatoes, fresh herbs and a touch of cream lend rich appeal to this dish.
Cherry Tomato-Beet Salad
Topped with a mustard-balsamic dressing, this cherry tomato and roasted beet salad is incredibly flavorful.
Escarole Salad with Grana-Dijon Dressing
A wonderful side salad to this week’s pasta!
Romano Beans with Caramelized Tropea Onions
These beautiful beans are tossed with Italian red onions and fresh parsley.
This easy dessert is sure to please the whole family!
As they say, the classics never go out of style, and this week we are sharing the ingredients for one of our all-time favorites—lasagna! Craft your own using our housemade marinara sauce, fresh lasagna sheets and a trio of rich, creamy cheeses (fresh ricotta, grated Parmesan and goat mozzarella), then bake and pair it with warm focaccia and perhaps a salad of fresh spring greens. Also included: Farm-fresh eggs, fragrant herbs and seasonal favorites such as pea shoots and locally-foraged Morel mushrooms—as they say in Italy, mangia!
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Pea Shoot & Arugula Salad with Radishes & Hazelnuts
This stellar salad from Food & Wine is beautifully balanced with peppery greens and radishes and sweet pea shoots.
Asparagus with Salt & Pepper Whipped Cream
Topped with decadent cream, this simple side dish is just delicious.
Roasted Radishes with Brown Butter & Lemon
The sweet, nutty brown butter here lends a beautiful finishing touch.
Broccoli with Vin Cotto
Coated in a balsamic vinegar glaze, this garlic-flecked broccoli makes for a warm, homey side.
Morel Mushroom & Asparagus Eggs Benedict
Served over toasted bread, this eggs Benedict is truly stunning.
Roasted Blood Oranges
These gorgeous oranges are a wonderful addition to a cheeseboard; or, remove the rinds and toss into a salad!
Finished with garlic confit and a grating of Grana-style cheese, this wintery pasta is incredibly cozy and satisfying.
1 pound fresh bucatini pasta, or other fresh pasta of your choice
2 cups Shiitake mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
1 bunch red Swiss chard, leaves separated from tough stems and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons butter, divided
¼ cup F&L garlic confit
¼ cup Grana-style cheese, grated
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil, then add the pasta. Cook until the bucatini is al dente, about 5-6 minutes. Reserve ½ cup pasta water, then drain pasta.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter in the skillet. Once warm, add the mushrooms and Swiss chard, tossing to coat with oil and butter. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and sweat until mushrooms are tender and Swiss chard is just wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add drained pasta to the skillet with the vegetables, then toss everything together with the rest of the olive oil, butter and garlic confit. (If pasta seems a little dry, mix in reserved pasta water.) Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve with a healthy grating of Grana-style cheese and enjoy!