Beet & Snap Pea Salad
This colorful salad is perfectly complemented by a lemon-honey vinaigrette.
1 bunch beets, trimmed of any greens, washed and scrubbed
½ pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 cups mixed salad greens
Lemon-honey vinaigrette (see recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil. Bake until tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool. Peel beets and cut into wedges.
2. Cook sugar snap peas in large saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Pat dry.
3. Line a serving platter with the greens Mix the beets and snap peas in a medium bowl with about ¼ cup of the honey-lemon vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper and then spoon the mixture over the greens. Drizzle with additional vinaigrette as desired.
Spring Picnic Recipes
The pleasant days of early June practically beg for a lazy, leisurely picnic packed with farm-fresh produce such as sun-ripened cherry tomatoes and favorite bites like baby red potato salad topped with silky dressing. This week, spend an afternoon with family and friends nibbling away at a picnic-perfect quartet—smoked salmon, velvety crème fraîche, pickled red onions and Jewish Rye bread. Also included in this bright lineup: A bevy of bright salad greens and all the ingredients for a delicious fresh apricot galette.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Mint Simple Syrup
Try this easy syrup splashed into your next glass of lemonade!
Rye Bread Toasts
This week’s loaf makes excellent crostini to pair with smoked salmon and lemon crème fraîche.
Lemon Crème Fraîche
This versatile concoction can be used as a salad vinaigrette atop spring greens, or spread over Jewish Rye toasts with this week’s smoked salmon.
Smoked Salmon Salad with Spring Greens & Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette
Tossed with a fresh lemon-dill vinaigrette, this salad exudes the light, refreshing flavors of the season.
In addition to this week’s salad, this versatile dressing pairs well with roasted baby carrots.
Potato Salad with Crème Fraîche & Mint
This unique recipe from Jamie Oliver ingeniously combines fresh mint, crème fraîche and Anaheim chile.
Sprinkled with a dusting of cinnamon sugar, this fresh tart is sure to please.
Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Radishes & Mint
This wonderful springtime salad gets an extra flavor boost courtesy of crunchy radish slices and zingy lemon zest.
1 cup crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
¼ cup lemon juice, plus the zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons freshly-chopped mint
½ bunch radishes, trimmed of greens, washed and thinly-sliced into rounds
1 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Whisk together the crème fraîche, lemon juice and fresh mint. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Fold in the radishes and snap peas, and then garnish the salad with the lemon zest. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.