This easy dessert is sure to please the whole family!
For the topping:
½ stick (¼ cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the batter:
1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups blueberries, picked over and rinsed
2 nectarines, pitted and cut into 1-inch wedges
1. Make the topping: In a small bowl, blend together the butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until the mixture resembles coarse meal; chill the topping while making the batter.
2. Make the batter: In a small bowl with an electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar and beat in the vanilla. In a small bowl stir together the baking powder, the flour, and the salt, beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and fold in the blueberries and the nectarines.
3. Spread the batter in a well-buttered 10-by 2-inch round cake pan or 2-quart baking pan, sprinkle the topping evenly over it and bake the buckle in the middle of a preheated 350° oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean and the topping is crisp and golden. Serve the buckle with whipped cream or ice cream.
A quick and easy dessert—simply toss strawberries and rhubarb with the following ingredients, then sprinkle with our signature crisp topping.
2 cups rhubarb, washed and chopped
4 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
1¼ cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1-2 tablespoons of butter
F&L almond crisp topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Toss the rhubarb and strawberries with sugar and cornstarch. Place in oven safe dish and add butter dabs to the top.
3. Sprinkle the fruit crisp topping evenly over the fruit, covering it completely. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling.
Though September has brought with it cooler temperature, falling leaves and other signs that fall is just around the corner, here at Bella Luna and the other nearby farms we are continuing to enjoy a bounty of late-summer crops—from bicolor corn and heirloom tomatoes to green beans and English cucumbers. Thus, break out the grill for one last cookout this week with a lineup starring our house-blend dry grill rub, organic bratwurst sausages and locally-made BBQ sauce—plus blueberry jam, Pomodoro bread and all the ingredients for an apple crisp to top off the meal.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Smoky Potato Salad with Bacon and Barbecue Sauce
The mayonnaise dressing for this potato salad gets a hit of smoky-sweet flavor courtesy of crispy bacon and barbecue sauce.
Tomato Salad with Corn & Roasted Onions
Roasted sweet onion adds a wonderful depth of flavor to this refreshing salad.
Grilled Corn with Dry Grill Rub
An innovative use for our housemade rub!
Green Beans & Herbs
These tender-crisp beans are accented with a medley of fresh herbs and butter.
Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes
As good as heirloom tomatoes are fresh, roasting them concentrates their flavor even more!
Sweet Onion Confit
This buttery-sweet topping is wonderful served in sandwiches or atop bratwurst!
A quick and easy dessert using fresh apples: Simply toss with cornstarch and sugar, then sprinkle with the topping from this week’s box.
The arrival of May on Tuesday means spring truly is in full swing as we are daily reminded thanks to recent warm days and the various crops ripening in the garden. This week, enjoy spring in all its glory with a wonderful assortment of produce ranging from French breakfast radishes and red cabbage raab to baby Chioggia beets and herbs like parsley, mint and thyme. Also included: Fresh rhubarb and almond crisp topping, plus all the fixins’ for a bright and light pasta primavera kissed with rich and silky crème fraîche. Enjoy!
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
This colorful spring pasta is incredibly versatile—feel free to add in any of your favorite veggies!
Pea Shoot & Mesclun Salad with Radishes & Hazelnuts
This stellar salad from Food & Wine is beautifully balanced with peppery greens and radishes and sweet pea shoots.
Roasted Baby Beets with Raspberry Vinegar
Kissed with notes of raspberry and orange, these beets are truly fantastic!
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Honey & Lemon
Time to break out the barbecue for these flavorful cauliflower “steaks”!
Red Radish Spread with Fresh Herbs
This cool, creamy spread is wonderful slathered atop slices of multigrain bread for a mid-afternoon snack.
A quick and easy dessert using spring rhubarb—simply toss with the following ingredients, then sprinkle with our signature crisp topping.