This warm salad is crisp and crunchy, boasting a wonderful smoky flavor from the perfectly-charred corn and peppers.
4 ears sweet corn, shucked
2 sweet peppers, halved and seeded
2 ½-inch-thick onion slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped oregano
1 tablespoon finely-chopped chives
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Place corn on the grill rack; grill 20 minutes or until charred here-and-there, turning occasionally. Place in a large bowl; cover with foil. Leave in a warm location 10 minutes, then cut corn kernels off cobs, encouraging clusters to stay intact, if possible.
2. Meanwhile, place the peppers and onions on grill rack, and grill 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and coarsely chop both the peppers and onions.
3. Combine the chives, cream, oregano, vinegar and garlic with a healthy pinch each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add peppers, onions and corn; toss gently to coat. Serve warm.
This recipe elevates spring salad onions from garnish to stunning side dish.
1 bunch salad onions, trimmed of root ends
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Heat grill to high. Place onions on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil to coat. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the top then sprinkle with the pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Toss again to spread out the seasonings.
2. Grill onions until the white flesh is soft and just beginning to char. Remove from grill and squeeze a little more lemon juice over top and garnish with chopped oregano.
It’s officially spring—and though our days continue to be drippy, the gardens are beginning to show new life as the first of the spring onions, rhubarb and new greens are now gracing us with their presence. Thus, spring fare takes center stage in this week’s box, too, with roasted garlic fougasse bread, cherry-almond fruit crisp topping and our housemade strawberry preserves all helping to accent a bevy of produce that includes snow peas, baby bok choy and fennel. Crack open a bottle of Pinot Noir, pop a fresh rhubarb crisp in the oven and enjoy the first taste of the season!
Here are a few recipes ideas for the week:
Stir-Fried Spring Vegetables with Chile, Garlic & Ginger
Serve this colorful stir-fry alongside potstickers and steamed rice for an easy weeknight dinner.
Scrambled Eggs with Red Spring Onions
Punched up with bright spring onions, these scrambled eggs are divine.
Grilled Spring Onions with Lemon & Thyme
This recipe elevates spring onions to a stunning side dish.
Roasted Oyster Mushrooms
Roasting these mushrooms in the oven lends rich, concentrated flavor—delicious!
Sautéed Jerusalem Artichokes
This simple method from Saveur allows these artichokes’ natural sweet flavor to shine.
Garden Greens with Chopped Eggs
This fresh salad is a lovely use for beautiful baby spinach greens.
Golden Beet Salad with Chevre & Shaved Fennel
Tossed with a Cara Cara orange vinaigrette, this showpiece salad boasts beautiful color.
A quick and easy dessert using spring rhubarb—simply toss with the following ingredients, then sprinkle with our signature crisp topping.
This week’s lineup is truly color-rich, from fresh-picked rainbow Swiss chard, purple kohlrabi and red cherry tomatoes to beautiful lemon, lime and Cara Cara citrus fruits and pickled carrots from the farmhouse kitchen. Accompanying this bright roster are tangy sheep’s milk feta cheese, a crisp rosé wine, multigrain bread and sweet Kugelhopf cakes to help polish off your spring feast.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Grilled Potato Salad with Hard-Boiled Eggs & Mustard Vinaigrette
Accented with mustard vinaigrette and spicy arugula, this potato salad boasts big, bold flavor.
Kohlrabi & Turnip Slaw
This crisp slaw is a wonderful accompaniment to grilled meats, or even served atop burgers.
Rainbow Swiss Chard Gratin
Creamy with just a hint of mustard, this rustic gratin is wonderful served with this week’s multigrain bread.
Charred Green Onion Gremolata
This smoky sauce is wonderful atop grilled chicken or fish, or slathered on grilled bread.
Green Garlic Salad Dressing
Flavor-packed ground mustard, vinegar and green garlic stalks mix beautifully in this easy vinaigrette.
This classic curd recipe from Gourmet magazine will soon be a new favorite!
Cara Cara Orange Compote
This tart-sweet spread is lovely served alongside this week’s Kugelhopf cakes.