Need a little pick-me-up? This week’s box is for you, filled with a beautiful of assortment of late-summer produce—from Snow Giant peaches and Canadice grapes to heirloom tomatoes and yellow carrots—to serve up on alongside such delicious bites as fresh focaccia bread, black truffle and Parmesan potato chips and buttery Marcona almonds. Also accompanied by summer lettuce greens, eggs from the henhouse and a French white wine, this flavorful lineup will perk up your taste buds in no time.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Roasted Grapes with Thyme
These juicy grapes boast an intense flavor, and are wonderful served with a sharp cheese and focaccia bread.
Grilled Peach Salad with Marcona Almonds
With peppery arugula and a red wine vinaigrette, this salad is incredibly bright and fresh.
Tangy lemon zest, fresh garlic and creamy butter enhance the natural sweet flavor of broccolini in this recipe from Barefoot Contessa’s Ina Garten.
Carrots Marinated with Garlic & Oregano
This room-temperature dish packs in the flavor and makes for a lovely side dish.
Spicy Heirloom Tomatoes
Topped with sweet corn and a pinch of cayenne pepper, these juicy tomatoes make a wonderful side salad.
It’s hard to beat this classic dessert—just add vanilla ice cream!
Peaches off the grill are a true summer delight—we particularly love this salty, sticky-sweet topping.
4 large ripe (but not overly soft) peaches, halved and pits removed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
2-3 teaspoons grapeseed oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
Handful of pistachios, lightly crushed
1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar and melted butter. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine mascarpone (or cream) cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla and beat with a hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Set aside.
2. Preheat grill over medium low heat. Gently brush each peach half with oil and place it flesh side down on the grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Use tongs to carefully rotate peaches a quarter turn and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the peaches are slightly softened and have grill marks. Remove and cool slightly.
3. When ready to serve, drizzle balsamic mixture over peaches and spoon a small scoop of cheese mixture into the hollow of each peach. Sprinkle with crushed pistachios.
Variations: Once you master the art of grilling peaches, the sky’s the limit! They are also wonderful topped with vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
Adapted from a Gaby Dalkin recipe, this bright and lively salad is perfect for a hot summer’s day.
2 heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 ripe but firm plums, cut into wedges
2 ripe but firm peaches, cut into wedges
½ small red onion, thinly diced
⅓ cup feta, crumbled
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh mint leaves
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
For the vinaigrette:
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup raspberry wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1-2 teaspoons honey
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Arrange the tomatoes, peaches, plums and red onions on a large platter.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the salad ingredients with the vinaigrette and lightly toss to coat. Top with feta, basil and mint, and then season generously with salt and pepper.
Peaches! Blueberries! Tomatoes! These treasured summer favorites are ripening in abundance as we reach August and this box celebrates them in all their glory with Washington-grown beauties from Snohomish, the Skagit Valley, Selah and more. Pain au Levain bread, locally-crafted sheep’s milk feta cheese, and a raspberry-kissed chocolate bar help accent a light and bright lineup that also includes heirloom and Sungold cherry tomatoes, English cucumbers and Little Gem lettuces; so slice up a peach, thumb through the recipes and enjoy these summer gems to the fullest.
Here are a few recipe ideas for the week:
Baked Feta with Honey
A kick of honey lends a sweet touch to the salty cheese; serve with grilled bread crostini!
Summer Peach & Heirloom Tomato Salad
Incredibly fresh and light, this colorful salad is accented by a robust heirloom tomato vinaigrette.
Grilled Heirloom Tomato Vinaigrette
In addition to this week’s salad, this bright and robust dressing is wonderful tossed with pasta, or drizzled over steamed or grilled vegetables.
Cucumber & Melon Salad with Basil
Juicy and incredibly crisp, this salad always receives rave reviews.
Braised Purple Carrots with Feta & Fresh Mint
This gorgeous side dish is freshened up with creamy feta and fragrant mint.
Tart-sweet and incredibly addictive, these pickled berries are a wonderful finishing touch for salads and sandwiches (trust us: try them on grilled cheese).
No-Bake Peach Crumble
The perfect no-fuss dessert!